COVID-19 and attending the Surgery UPDATED 13/09/2021

Woodview Family Doctors have completed the rollout of the Covid19 vaccines to the at risk groups as identified by the HSE.   You will now need to register on the HSE portal for your vaccine appointment.

Woodview Family Doctors remain open throughout the Covid-19 pandemic providing all our usual medical services in addition to Covid19 related illness.   We have put protocols in place to ensure the safety of patients and staff in line with Department of Public Health guidelines.    Our waiting room has now reopened but at a significantly reduced capacity.   To comply with  Public Health guidelines your consultation time  will be less than 15 minutes.  Any patient over 13 years of age will have to wear a face covering.

As per HSE guidelines please DO NOT attend the surgery if you  have any Covid19 symptoms even if you are fully vaccinated.  We are continuing to experience high rates of Covid19 infection in the community.  The additional workload related to Covid19 means that it may take longer for you to access a routine appointment.

If you cannot get through to the surgery and it is an emergency please call 999 for an urgent ambulance.




Updated Advice 09/09/2021 for Children under 13 years attending school

Parents/Guardians will be concerned about children being unwell and school attendance.  There will also be concerns about requiring medical certification to be able to attend childcare facilities.

Please see some helpful information on the Frequently Asked Questions section of this website.

Regarding adults with underlying medical conditions who are concerned about returning to the workplace.  Please also refer to the Covid 19 page.

Click here for a quick guide to self-isolation guidelines.

Follow the link below for  guidelines on  how to self refer for a Covid19 test.

There are still a  lot of other everyday illnesses like colds, coughs, flu, earache and sore throats .  The HSE website Under the Weather has very useful information which might be of help




Updated Advice 13/09/2021 Adults and Children 13 years and over

For a quick guide to self-isolation guidelines if you are an Adult or a Child aged 13 years of age and over click the following link

Repeat Prescription Requests  & Social Welfare Certification

If you need your usual repeat prescription, please give us  five working days’  notice.   This will allow your doctor time to check and prepare your prescription.   Please telephone your pharmacy to arrange dispensing and a collection day/time.

Please email  your prescription request to with ALL the following information:

  • Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Your Doctor’s Name
  • Names of each medication required
  • Pharmacy name

Please DO NOT email with clinical queries or concerns. If you are unwell or worried about any symptoms please phone the surgery at 021-482 1111.


When you telephone to request a Social Welfare Cert it will now be electronically submitted on your behalf directly to the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection.  When you contact the practice please ensure that you have your PPS number to hand.

If you are in receipt of  social welfare  payment in relation to an existing illness, then please contact the surgery to request your Social Welfare Certificate in the usual manner and we will arrange to submit same on your behalf electronically.

If you are seeking illness benefit due to a Covid-19 case, whether restricting your movements due to having had a COVID19 test (or a household member is having COVID19 testing) and you are unable to go to work you can apply for Illness Benefit for COVID-19 absences.  Please note an Ilness Benefit application form is available on line for Covid-19 related cases (self isolation or diagnosis) only.  This online facility is available at the following link:

If you are claiming Illness Benefit for a new illness, you will need to submit an Ilness Benefit Application (1B1 Form) directly to the Department of Social Protection and your doctor will submit electronically the Certificate of Incapacity for Work on your behalf.   You can request an IB1 Form to be sent out to you by phoning 1890 800 024 or by e-mail to

Please DO NOT use the practice email address to request Social Welfare Certificates.  This is used only for prescription requests only.